Friday, June 27, 2008

Viva Espana

I've been in a soccer frenzy these days. I love soccer. It can't be helped, its the European half of me. However, I tend to get involved only in Eurocup and Worldcup as I find it too much of a commitment to follow my favorite leagues during the regular season.

As it is, the Eurocup 2008 final is on sunday!! AHHH!!!

I have to say, I was very upset that Turkey lost against Germany, they deserved to win. Not only have they been a better team in this competition, but I truly believe it would be been a momentous occasion for Turkey to WIN the EuroCup when so many Europeans dont think Turkey is "european" enough to join the EU.

Unfortunately the Germans beat them (snif snif). BUT the good news is that Spain made it to the finals, a solid team, they killed the Russians and hopefully they will do the same for Germany.

Its not that I have anything against Germany. Au contraire, I have many ties to the country and to its people, but truth be told, I identify more with Spain, people are much more laid back, and I like Fabregas' style.

The only team I dont like is Italy, and that goes back to the France/Italy rivalry...I still havent gotten over our World Cup loss, and I still worship Zidane, even if he did lose the damn cup.

And so it is. In honor of soccer, this sunday, I will first be watching a DC United - LA Galaxy game (my first MLS game!) and then promptly rushing to the nearest location showing the Eurocup final!

GO SPAIN!

No comments: