Monday, July 21, 2008

To Paris with Love....

I've always had a strange love affair with France. For one. Its my country. I was raised a proper french girl, in a proper French School (though in the Philippines) where I learned proper British English (I still spell colour the british way). However, I've never lived in France for more than a few weeks at a time.

I've spent the last 9 years of my life living in North America. When I first moved to the States when I was 18, I had never identified with being American (my mother is american). People noticed that, although I had an american accent, I didnt quite...fit in.

Like I said, its been 9 years, 7 in the States, 2 in Vancouver and I must say, I now fit in just fine...except for my nagging urge to move ALL THE TIME.

A friend of mine that I've known since we were about 2 years old, who now lives in Hong Kong, is about to move back to Paris. She and I went to the french school together, and instead of going to college in the States like I did, she chose to go to France. I cant help but feel a pang of jelousy. Not just because she is moving to Paris...but because she chose the European and international route when we graduated high school, while I chose the US route.

I dont regret it per se. Its just that I always wanted to be an expat, live in Europe and Asia...I never planned on staying here longer than the 4 years of college...and yet here I am.

Not sure where this rant is going. I suppose I cant help but think a lot lately about the choices I've made in my life, and whether or not they were the right ones.

No comments: